More than 300 guests attended the 9th Annual Spirit of the Heart Awards Dinner at the Ritz Carlton in Washington, D.C. The night was spent with inspiration, recommitment, and recognition of the year’s accomplishments toward the ABC mission to end the devastating effects of cardiovascular disease on underserved people. Funds raised during the annual event will support the Association’s ongoing outreach, education, research and advocacy for cardiovascular health and heart disease prevention. The gala weekend began with a Corporate Partners Meeting on Friday morning and a networking reception on Friday evening. On Saturday, a standing-room-only symposium, “Emerging Directions in Heart Failure and Atrial Fibrillation Management,” was held at Heart House, headquarters for the American College of Cardiology. This educational program was chaired by Drs. Joseph Poku, Sabra Lewsey, and Felix Sogade.
“Extra” co-host AJ Calloway served as Master of Ceremonies for the Awards Dinner. The awards presentations began after an Invocation by Dr. Sandye Wilson from St. Augustine University.
- The Walter M. Booker Sr. Health Promotion Award was presented to Roderic Pettigrew Ph.D. MD, CEO of EnHealth and Executive Dean of EnMed, Texas A&M University, and Houston Methodist Hospital.
- The Daniel D. Savage Memorial Science Award was awarded to Michelle Albert MD MPH, Professor of Medicine and Director of the Center for the Study of Adversity and Cardiovascular Disease at University of California, San Francisco.
- The Distinguished Leadership Award was received by Anne Taylor, MD, the John Lindenbaum Professor of Medicine and Sr VP for Faculty Affairs/Career Development at Columbia University Medical College.
- The Mentorship Excellence Award was given to Augustus Grant MD Ph.D. ChB Professor of Medicine and Director of Heart Station Duke University Medical Center.
- The Spirit of the Heart Award was received by Freda Lewis-Hall MD, DFAPA, Executive Vice President and Chief Medical Officer for Pfizer Inc. Dr. Lewis-Hall was also the Corporate Chair for the Spirit of the Heart Awards Dinner.
The night came to a close with a rousing performance by Grammy-nominated Jazz and R&B artist Maysa. Many thanks go to the Awards Dinner Chairs and former ABC Presidents, Drs. Icilma Fergus and Barbara Hutchinson and all the Sponsors for making this an outstanding event.